Click HERE to order copies of the 20-page booklet
The Common Core: A Bad Choice for America
[Download a FREE digital version here.]
The Heartland Institute has been at the forefront of pushing back on Common Core education standards — a Washington-led scheme to take away the long-held control of curriculum from states, school boards, teachers, and parents. Our effort is led by Heather Kays, managing editor of School Reform News and her predecessor at the newspapaer, Heartland Senior Fellow Joy Pullmann.
Common Core State Standards for K-12 schools were adopted with little public debate by every state but Alaska, Nebraska, Texas, and Virginia in 2010, part of the price of getting federal dollars under the Obama administration’s “Race to the Top” program. Now educators, parents, and policymakers are taking a closer look at what they agreed to, and many don’t like what they see.
In this Heartland Institute Policy Brief (PDF), Pullmann reveals some major weaknesses of Common Core. The program represents a major centralization of control over curriculum, contrary to the American tradition of decentralized control and funding. Instead of being “world class,” the standards represent a significant step back from what experts say are the standards America really needs. No wonder many states are now holding hearings on whether to back out of the Common Core project.
Click here for an alternative format to print as a booklet (print on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, double-sided, folded) to share with friends. (Note: If you are printing double-sided, please be sure to instruct your printer to have it open on the SHORT side, not the long side.)
Click here for a new Heartland Common Core booklet by David V. Anderson, published in October 2014 titled "Replacing Common Core with Proven Standards of Excellence."
- A one-page tip sheet of basic information, arguments, and talking points.
- "Replacing Common Core with Proven Standards of Excellence" by Dave V. Anderson
- Policy Brief: A 5-page backgrounder, with evidence, on each of the major points of controversy.
- "Common Core Facts and Myths," a two-page Q&A.
- "Common Core Science Standards," short background and information paper.
- Common Core Fact vs. Fiction: a PowerPoint with basic background information and supporting links.
Rebuttals and Op-Eds
- "Top 10 Things Parents Hate About Common Core", The Federalist
- "A Common-Sense Approach to the Common Core Math Standards," Heartlander
- "A Common-Sense Approach to Common Core, Part II: Third-Grade Fractions," Heartlander
- "A Common-Sense Approach to Common Core Math, Part III: Drawing Diagrams for Dividing Fractions," Heartlander
- " 'A' Is for Agitation: What's Really Going on in Jefferson County Schools", Michelle Malkin
- "Nevada Officials: Seeing a Student's a Student's Record Will Cost Dad $10K," Nevada Journal
- "Obama's Lawless Education Policy," School Choice Weekly
- "Regulations Threaten Choice," School Choice Weekly
- "Common Core Support Collapses in Oklahoma," Capital Beat Oklahoma
- "Bill Gates Needs an Education on Common Core," Somewhat Reasonable
- "The Thorny Charter Problem," National Review Online
- "Preschool Vouchers a Bad Idea," The Federalist
- "How Common Core Treats World War II," Townhall.com
- "Local Control Means Choice," Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- "It Doesn't Take a Tinfoil Hat to Critique Common Core," National Review Online
- "Big Business Targets Common Core’s Band of Mothers," The Federalist
- "If Anything, Common Core Teaches Kids to Hate the Constitution," The Federalist
- "Education Department Helps Leak Students' Personal Data," Washington Examiner
- "States Should Move Swiftly to Protect Student Data," Orange County Register
- A basic overview of Common Core in one hour.
- George Will: Common Core the Thin End of an Enormous Wedge of Federal Power, from Fox News.
- Dr. Terrence Moore of Hillsdale College explains why Common Core will destroy Americans' knowledge of our history and culture.
- Joy and Lindsey Burke at the Conservative Women's Network luncheon at the Heritage Foundation, giving a brief Common Core overview and strategies for how parents and teachers can make their voices heard.
- Why Common Core means federal control over classrooms, from the Cato Institute.
- How Common Core is inseparable from data-mining on children.
- The Cato Institute hosts a debate between Common Core proponents and opponents.
- "Common Core Math Standards," Research & Commentary
- "Common Core Testing Groups Won’t Let Some States Go," Heartlander
- "In War Over Common Core: Louisiana Officials Lawyer Up," Heartlander
- "Common Core English Language Arts Standards," Research & Commentary
- "Parents Versus Control," School Choice Weekly
- "Wisconsin Common Core," Research & Commentary
- "Ohio Common Core," Research & Commentary
- "The More They Know, the Less They Like Common Core," School Choice Weekly
- "War Over Common Core: Louisiana Officials Lawyer Up," Heartlander
- "Common Core Testing Groups Won’t Let Some States Go," Heartlander
- "Oklahoma Common Core Repeal Found Constitutional," School Choice Weekly
- "South Carolina Governor Signs Common Core Repeal," Heartlander
- "Back to Defacing History," School Choice Weekly
- "Wyoming Continues Battle Over Science Standard," Heartlander
- "Common Core in Pennsylvania," Research & Commentary
- "Common Core Tests Become a Hot Potato," School Choice Weekly
- "VIDEO: Louisiana Governor Drops Common Core Tests," Heartlander
- "More Benefits from Wisconsin's Collective Bargaining Curbs," School Choice Weekly
- "Oklahoma May Jettison Common Core," School Choice Weekly
- "The Problem with Character Education," School Choice Weekly
- "Education Tax Credits," Research & Commentary
- "Teaching Children to Be Human," School Choice Weekly
- "Ohio Children Harassed Over Common Core Test Opt-Out," School Reform News
- "Education and Poverty," School Choice Weekly
- "Sidestepping the Common Core Debate," School Choice Weekly
- "Kentucky Common Core," Research & Commentary
- "What Common Core Looks Like," The Federalist
- "Feds Spend Millions to Promote Common Core," School Reform News
- "Five People Wrote 'State-Led' Common Core," School Reform News
- "‘State-Led’ Common Core Pushed by Federally Funded Nonprofit," School Reform News
- "Alabama Common Core Tests May Examine Kids’ Motivation, Behavior," School Reform News
- "Education Policies Led by Gates, Not States?" School Reform News
- "Unwritten Tests Present Major Common Core Obstacle," School Reform News
- "Tax-Sponsored Common Core Meetings Closed to Public," School Reform News
- "Common Core Even Affects Letter Grades," School Reform News
- Allie Bidwell: Politics in K-12 Education, October 12, 2014
- Jenni White: Oklahoma Lawsuit Against Replacing Common Core, July 17, 2014
- Joy Pullmann: Continuing Problems in the Common Core, June 17, 2014
- Lenore Ealy: How Big Philanthropy is Corrupting Education and America, May 16, 2014
- Joy Pullmann: The Parent Trigger, May 10, 2014
- Lenore Ealy: How Big Philanthropy Is Corrupting Education and America, May 7, 2014
- Joy Pullmann: Knowing the Truth about the Common Core, April 28, 2014
- Kevin Chavous: Common Core Hullabaloo Distracts from Choice, April 21, 2014
- Mary Tillotson: The World of Education Reporting, April 19, 2014.
- Scott Simpson: Singin' the Common Core Blues, April 11, 2014
- Barry Garelick: The Math Wars from a Teacher's Eyes, February 26, 2014
- Alix Freeze: What Teachers Really Think, February 10, 2014
- Vicki Alger: The Short Story on Common Core, December 11, 2013
- Kris Nielsen: The Left Opposes Common Core, Too, August 28, 2013
- Top FL Lawmakers to Tony Bennett: Drop National Common Core Tests, July 18, 2013
- Richard Innes: Schools, Data-Mining, and Invasions of Privacy, May 23, 2013
- Joy Pullmann: What Parents Think About Common Core, April 19, 2013
- James Shuls: Common Core Ruined My Son's Math, January 28, 2013
- Joy Pullmann: The Common Core Standards, May 23, 2013
- Vern Williams: A Teacher's Thoughts on the Common Core, December 14, 2012
- Stanley Kurtz: Obama's Education Takeover
- Sol Stern: A Conservative Defends the Common Core, August 17, 2012
- Lindsey Burke: NCLB Waivers, Virginia, and the Common Core, July 6, 2012
- Common Core Calamity in California: An interview with the Hoover Institution's Bill Evers, July 29, 2010
- Alaska (for states that have not passed Common Core, especially): Testimony / Audio
- Arkansas: Testimony / Audio
- Georgia: Testimony/Video
- Indiana: Testimony / Video
- Kansas: Testimony / Audio
- Kentucky: Testimony / Audio
- Michigan: Testimony / Video
- Ohio: Testimony/Video
- Oklahoma (why Common Core is central planning): Testimony / Video
- Pennsylvania (pertinent information for all PARCC states): Testimony / Video
- Tennessee: Testimony / Video
- Wisconsin (pertinent information for all Smarter Balanced states): Testimony / Video
Watch Joy Pullmann debate Common Core on "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network in September 2014 with Robert Pondiscio, senior fellow at The Fordham Institute. “You like your federal education funding, don’t ya? Shame if something happened to it,” Joy said. ZING!
Watch Joy Pullmann speak about Common Core at an event with the Heritage Foundation on July 5, 2013:
Watch Joy Pullmann debate Common Core supporter Michael Brickman of the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation on Fox News on April 29, 2014:
Watch Joy Pullmann talk with Duke Pesta regarding data mining and testing consortiums regarding Common Core on Sept. 25, 2013: