Click HERE to order copies of the 20-page booklet
The Common Core: A Bad Choice for America
[Download a FREE digital version here.]
The Heartland Institute has been at the forefront of pushing back on Common Core education standards—a Washington-led scheme to take away the long-held control of curriculum from states, school boards, teachers, and parents. Our effort is led by Joy Pullmann, research fellow for education policy and managing editor of School Reform News.
Common Core State Standards for K-12 schools were adopted with little public debate by every state but Alaska, Nebraska, Texas, and Virginia in 2010, part of the price of getting federal dollars under the Obama administration’s “Race to the Top” program. Now educators, parents, and policymakers are taking a closer look at what they agreed to, and many don’t like what they see.
In this Heartland Institute Policy Brief (PDF), Pullmann reveals some major weaknesses of Common Core. The program represents a major centralization of control over curriculum, contrary to the American tradition of decentralized control and funding. Instead of being “world class,” the standards represent a significant step back from what experts say are the standards America really needs. No wonder many states are now holding hearings on whether to back out of the Common Core project.
Click here for an alternative format to print as a booklet (print on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, double-sided, folded) to share with friends. (Note: If you are printing double-sided, please be sure to instruct your printer to have it open on the SHORT side, not the long side.)
- A one-page tip sheet of basic information, arguments, and talking points.
- Policy Brief: A 5-page backgrounder, with evidence, on each of the major points of controversy.
- "Common Core Facts and Myths," a two-page Q&A.
- "Common Core Science Standards," short background and information paper.
- Common Core Fact vs. Fiction: a PowerPoint with basic background information and supporting links.
Rebuttals and Op-Eds
- "It Doesn't Take a Tinfoil Hat to Critique Common Core," National Review Online
- "Big Business Targets Common Core’s Band of Mothers," The Federalist
- "If Anything, Common Core Teaches Kids to Hate the Constitution," The Federalist
- "Education Department Helps Leak Students' Personal Data," Washington Examiner.
- "States Should Move Swiftly to Protect Student Data," Orange County Register.
- A basic overview of Common Core in one hour.
- Dr. Terrence Moore of Hillsdale College explains why Common Core will destroy Americans' knowledge of our history and culture.
- Joy and Lindsey Burke at the Conservative Women's Network luncheon at the Heritage Foundation, giving a brief Common Core overview and strategies for how parents and teachers can make their voices heard.
- Why Common Core means federal control over classrooms, from the Cato Institute.
- How Common Core is inseparable from data-mining on children.
- The Cato Institute hosts a debate between Common Core proponents and opponents.
- "What Common Core Looks Like," The Federalist
- "Feds Spend Millions to Promote Common Core," School Reform News
- "Five People Wrote 'State-Led' Common Core," School Reform News
- "‘State-Led’ Common Core Pushed by Federally Funded Nonprofit," School Reform News
- "Alabama Common Core Tests May Examine Kids’ Motivation, Behavior," School Reform News
- "Education Policies Led by Gates, Not States?" School Reform News
- "Unwritten Tests Present Major Common Core Obstacle," School Reform News
- "Tax-Sponsored Common Core Meetings Closed to Public," School Reform News
- "Common Core Even Affects Letter Grades," School Reform News
- Richard Innes: Schools, Data-Mining, and Invasions of Privacy, May 2013
- Joy Pullmann: What Parents Think About Common Core, April 19, 2013
- James Shuls: Common Core Ruined My Son's Math, January 28, 2013
- Joy Pullmann: The Common Core Standards, May 23, 2013
- Vern Williams: A Teacher's Thoughts on the Common Core, December 14, 2012
- Stanley Kurtz: Obama's Education Takeover
- Sol Stern: A Conservative Defends the Common Core, August 17, 2012
- Lindsey Burke: NCLB Waivers, Virginia, and the Common Core, July 6, 2012
- Common Core Calamity in California: An interview with the Hoover Institution's Bill Evers, July 29, 2010
- Alaska (for states that have not passed Common Core, especially): Testimony / Audio
- Arkansas: Testimony / Audio
- Indiana: Testimony / Video
- Kansas: Testimony / Audio
- Kentucky: Testimony / Audio
- Michigan: Testimony / Video
- Oklahoma (why Common Core is central planning): Testimony / Video
- Pennsylvania (pertinent information for all PARCC states): Testimony / Video
- Tennessee: Testimony / Video
- Wisconsin (pertinent information for all Smarter Balanced states): Testimony / Video
Watch Joy Pullmann speak about Common Core at an event with the Heritage Foundation on July 5, 2013: