The August issue of FIRE Policy News (formerly Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate News) reports reactions to President Barack Obama’s signing of the 2,300-page Dodd-Frank financial services overhaul. Policy analysts say the law will be bad for families, bad for business, and bad for the entire economy.
Also in this issue:
- Market analysts and insurance industry leaders are encouraging the Texas Sunset Commission to continue its path of less regulation reviewing the Texas Department of Insurance and Office of Public Insurance Council. But coastal property owners want tighter oversight.
- Depository institutions are expressing deep concerns about the potential consequences of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, which took effect June 1.
- Recent changes in flood risk maps are forcing thousands of Americans to get additional flood insurance for their homes and businesses. In most instances, the changes make insurance coverage pricier.
- Florida’s 2010 legislative session ended with failures to pass important legislation, including bills to fix the state’s broken property and casualty insurance system and reform the education system.
- A federal bill critics have dubbed the Beach House Bailout has been scored by the Congressional Budget Office as costing taxpayers an estimated $1.7 billion between 2011 and 2015.
Newspaper Articles in this Issue
No matching newspaper articles