Focus on Small Business: Job Creators and Job Killers
July 12, 2013
In this report on major bills from Washington's 2013 Legislative Session, the author finds the points below:
- The most effective way to encourage job growth is not to burden employers and discourage entrepreneurs with more government mandates and new taxes.
- Despite the near-ubiquitous “I’m-for-jobs” sound bites and talking points issued by lawmakers of both parties, there were a number of job-killer bills introduced in the 2013 Legislative Session.
- While none of the job-killer bills listed passed the legislature, neither did most of the job-creator bills.
- The House and Senate did pass and Gov. Inslee signed four of the job-creator bills that implement some important steps toward regulatory reform.
- Overall, the record of some lawmakers and the governor in improving Washington’s business climate and expanding job opportunities for workers was disappointing in the 2013 Legislative Session.