Seven Reasons to Reform Food Stamps
This blog post in the Foundry, the author contends that,
Food stamps were a popular topic of conversation last month as Congress debated the farm bill. This decades-old Great Society program is in much need of reform for at least seven reasons:
- Food stamp spending has surged.
- Food stamp rolls have also been climbing for decades, regardless of the economic situation.
- Government has vastly expanded food stamp eligibility.
- States are spending taxpayer money to “recruit” food stamp participants who might not otherwise choose to use them.
- Despite what the left claims, food stamps don’t stimulate the economy.
- Even in good economic times, many food stamp recipients don’t work.
- Food stamps discourage work and self-sufficiency.