Kurtis B. Reeg
Kurtis B. Reeg is a policy advisor for legal affairs at The Heartland Institute and president/managing partner of Reeg Laywers, LLC. Mr. Reeg has more than 30 years of trial and appellate experience representing clients in a wide variety of products liability, class action and toxic tort litigation, insurance coverage and underlying defense including litigation experience with matters involving aviation, biotechnology, chemicals, construction equipment, drugs and medical devices, hydraulic equipment, ladders, lead, machinery of various types, mold, pesticides, safety equipment, vehicles and substantial experience in matters related to asbestos, silica, herbicides, chemicals and environmental hazards. He currently serves as counsel in multiple class actions on behalf of a leading manufacturer of the widely used corn, sorghum and sugar cane herbicide Atrazine.
Mr. Reeg is a graduate of DePauw University (B.A., cum laude, 1976) and The St. Louis University School of Law (J.D. 1979).
Mr. Reeg has spent more than 30 years in the Madison County, St. Clair Counties, Illinois, asbestos litigation and served as the National Chair of the Products Liability Group and Chair of the Tort and Insurance Group of the St. Louis office of one of the nation's premier law firms.
He has represented clients in more than 20 states before state courts, regulatory agencies and in the federal courts. He also litigates and tries many types of sophisticated insurance coverage claims. As an experienced certified neutral, he serves on several private and court-related alternative dispute resolution (ADR) panels. Mr. Reeg is a member of four (4) state bars (Missouri, Illinois, Kansas and Nebraska) and the bars of nine (9) federal courts across the country.
Mr. Reeg is a frequent speaker at local, regional and national seminars and has published numerous articles, which are contained in the Publications section of this web site. Mr. Reeg’s affiliations include:
- American Lawyer, Top Rated – AV® Preeminent Lawyers™ in Mass Tort Litigation (Listed in 2012 in the first ever Top Rated Lawyers® section for Mass Tort Lawyers; profile included in The American Lawyer, Corporate Counseland The National Law Journal);
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC) (Recipient, 2001 Andrew C. Hecker Award for most outstanding Quarterly article of the year; Auto, Land, Air, Transportation and Casualty Insurance Section; Insurance Coverage Section; Products Liability Section; Drug, Device and Biotechnology Section; Toxic Tort & Environmental Law Section: Chair, 2001-2003; Vice-Chair, 1999-2001); Class Action Section: Chair, 2010-2011; Vice-Chair, 2009-2010.
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) (Tort & Hazardous Substance Litigation Committee, Products Liability Committee and Drug, Device & Biotech Committee);
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) (Drug and Medical Device Committee; Insurance Law Committee; Products Liability Committee; Specialized Litigation Groups for Manufacturers' Risk Prevention, Hand and Power Tools; Children's Products; Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee [Asbestos, Mold and Indoor Air Quality Special Litigation Groups]);
- Midwest Environmental Claims Association n/k/a The National Forum For Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues;
- Agricultural Business Council of Kansas City (Member who advocates growth and awareness of food, fiber, agri-science and related industries in the Kansas City region);
- American Agricultural Law Association (Member of the only national professional organization focusing on the legal needs of the agricultural community);
- Missouri Corn Growers Association (Member of the grassroots organization of farming-related members dedicated to increasing the profitability of corn production by developing and expanding corn markets, collecting and distributing information, building coalitions with organizations and industries, and by actively participating in governmental processes);
- Missouri Farm Bureau (Member working to improve the quality of life of farmers and rural and all Missourians);
- Missouri Farmers Care (Asked by Board to render legal opinion on constitutionality of activist ballot initiative);
- MO-AG (Member advocating for the business of agriculture);
- American Bar Association (TIPS: Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Products Liability Subcommittee (Chair), and ADR Subcommittee; Tort and Hazardous Substances and Environmental Law Committee);
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member-Task Force on the Unauthorized Practice of Law; Past Chair - Individual Rights and Responsibilities Section; Section Council-Insurance Law Section);
- Missouri Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ 2007 (listed for Insurance Law, Product Liability Law and Toxic Torts);
- Board of Editors, Product Liability Law and Strategy, Law Journal Newsletters (1999 - 2003);
- Who's Who In America, American Law, The Midwest, and Emerging Leaders in America.