The Heartland Institute’s Administrative Assistant/Receptionist is responsible for answering incoming phone calls, data entry, research, office supplies ordering and inventory, and other tasks as assigned.
The Heartland Institute’s Administrative Assistant/Receptionist is responsible for answering incoming phone calls, data entry, research, office supplies, inventory of publications, and other tasks as assigned. This position reports to the Director of Administration and provides administrative support for all staff.
The position requires a mature and largely self-managing individual with excellent telephone, data processing, database, administrative, and organizational skills; an ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines; strong interpersonal, tracking and logging, and organizational skills.
Founded in 1984, The Heartland Institute is an independent national nonprofit research organization. It is a tax-exempt charity under Section 501(c)(3). Heartland’s mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. Three things make Heartland unique among free-market think tanks:
- It communicates with more national and state elected officials, more often, than any other think tank in the United States. Heartland contacted elected officials more than one million times in 2021.
- Heartland produces one monthly public policy newspaper—Health Care News—and a daily online news website—Heartland Daily News—that present free-market ideas as news rather than research or opinion.
- Heartland promotes the work of other free-market think tanks on its websites, in its newspapers, at its events, and through its extensive government and media relations efforts.
In addition to a full-time staff of 24, approximately 500 academics and professional economists participate in Heartland’s peer-review process as policy advisors and more than 300 elected officials serve on its Legislative Forum. More than a dozen senior fellows are available to write, speak, or comment in-depth on a wide range of policy issues.
Heartland has published more than two dozen books ranging in length from fewer than 100 pages to more than 1,000 pages, some with circulation of more than 100,000 copies. Heartland has published more than 140 peer-reviewed policy studies and scores of policy briefs, Research & Commentary collections, and booklets. Surveys show 82 percent of state legislators read at least one of Heartland’s publications sometimes or always.
We produce a constant stream of op-eds, news releases, videos, podcasts, and public events. In 2020, Heartland appeared in print and on television or radio 4,849 times with a combined print circulation of 185 million. Heartland’s podcasts were downloaded 5 million times, and our YouTube videos were viewed 2.6 million times.
- Process incoming/outgoing mail and packages.
- Responds to customer inquiries for information.
- Maintain registration at Heartland events or Heartland-sponsored events, which sometimes take place early morning, evenings, or weekends.
- Responsible for updating inventory database on a weekly basis.
- Responsible for moving existing inventory in preparation for incoming materials, if necessary.
- Keep inventory storage areas well organized.
- Responsibility for many ad hoc mailing and data entry projects.
§ Significant experience with and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and database programs (Salesforce and/or MS Access).
§ Eagerness to learn and ability to be trained quickly.
§ Excellent written and oral communication skills. The Administrative Assistant/Receptionist is the first point of contact for callers to the organization, so a customer-friendly personality and attention to detail (spelling of names, taking correct phone numbers) are essential.
§ Interest in public policy issues a plus.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Performance reviews are conducted annually by the Director of Administration. The Heartland Institute also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, HSA contributions, life insurance, covered fees for a 401(k) plan, and a generous paid time-off plan.
Hours and location of work
The administrative assistant position is an hourly full-time position requiring 40 hours per week. Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Office is in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
TO APPLY: For questions about applying for this opening, please contact [email protected]
General Careers Information
Join a full-time staff of 35 dedicated men and women discovering, developing, and promoting free-market solutions to social and economic problems!
Please read our “Reply to Critics” for the truth about our funding, tactics, and positions on controversial issues.
This position requires adherence to The Heartland Institute’s Quality Standards for Heartland Publications.
We actively recruit graduates of colleges and universities that receive a grade of “A” from the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA).