Pullmann is also a former managing editor of School Reform News. In that capacity, Pullmann interviewed and produced podcasts with many of the leading figures in school reform. Before that, she was the assistant editor for American Magazine at the American Enterprise Institute.
She is also the 2013-14 recipient of a Robert Novak journalism fellowship for in-depth reporting on Common Core national education standards.
Pullmann has been published by the New York Times, Washington Examiner, The Weekly Standard, Washington Times, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Salt Lake Tribune, Ricochet.com, National Review Online, Real Clear Policy, and various other U.S. newspapers and outlets. Pullmann has written a series of Research & Commentary reports on the Parent Trigger, a new school reform idea sweeping the country, and is coauthor with Joseph L. Bast of “The Parent Trigger: Justification and Design Guidelines” (Heartland Institute, 2012).
Pullmann has taught middle and high school students history, literature, and debate, and wrote high school public speaking curriculum. She has traveled nationwide to speak at prominent venues including CPAC, the National Right to Life Convention, and statewide education conferences. She has been a guest on numerous talk shows, including Fox & Friends, the John Stossel show, and the Wall Street Journal’s Opinion Journal.
Pullmann graduated from the Hillsdale College honors program with an English major and journalism concentration, where she received statewide competitive collegiate honors for her reporting and commentary and ranked in the top 25 nationally in parliamentary debate.
Testimony in state legislatures on Common Core (2013-2014)
- Alaska (for states that have not passed Common Core, especially): Testimony / Audio
- Arkansas: Testimony / Audio
- Georgia: Testimony/Video
- Indiana: Testimony / Video
- Kansas: Testimony / Audio
- Kentucky: Testimony / Audio
- Michigan: Testimony / Video
- Ohio: Testimony/Video
- Oklahoma (why Common Core is central planning): Testimony / Video
- Pennsylvania (pertinent information for all PARCC states): Testimony / Video
- Tennessee: Testimony / Video
- Wisconsin (pertinent information for all Smarter Balanced states): Testimony / Video
Photo by Annah Brown. Used with permission.
Joy Pullmann Contributions