About Us Menu
Professor, Interim Associate Chair, Department of Economics, University of Akron
Michael Nelson is professor, interim associate chair, Department of Economics, University of Akron. He specialiazes in economic development.
- “Shadow Economy and International Software Piracy,” forthcoming Applied Financial Economics. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Internet Diffusion and Implications for Taxation: Evidence from U.S. Cigarette Sales,” Policy & Internet, Vol. 4, Issue 1, Article 6, 2012. [with Rajeev K. Goel]. http://www.psocommons.org/policyandinternet/vol4/iss1/art6/
- “The Internet as an Indicator of Corruption Awareness,” European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2012, 64-75. [with Rajeev K. Goel and Michael A. Naretta].
- “Cigarette Demand and Effectiveness of U.S. Smoking Control Policies: State-level Evidence for More Than Half a Century,”Empirical Economics, published on-line 27 March 2011 http://www.springerlink.com/content/a158718812036641/ . [with R.K. Goel]
- “Government Fragmentation Versus Fiscal Decentralization and Corruption,” Public Choice, 2011, 471-90 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Measures of Corruption and Determinants of US Corruption,” Economics of Governance, Vol. 12, No. 2, June 2011, pp. 155-176. [with R. K. Goel].
- “Causes of Corruption: History, Geography and Government,” Journal of Policy Modeling. Vol. 32, pp. 433-447, July-August 2010. [with R. K.Goel].
- “Assessment of the Undergraduate Economics Major: A National Survey,” Journal of Economic Education, 42 (2) 2011, pp. 195-199. [with Steve Myers and Richard Stratton].
- “E-portfolios and Student Research in the Assessment of a Proficiency-based Major” in Designing Effective Assessment: Principles and Profiles of Good Practice, Trudy Banta, Karen Black, and Elizabeth Jones (eds.),San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2009. [with Steven Myers and Richard Stratton].
- “Corruption in MENA Countries: An Empirical Investigation,” in Economic Performance in the Middle East and North Africa,Serdar Sayan (ed.), London and New York: Routledge, 2009, pp. 13 – 24. [with R.K. Goel].
- “Determinants of Software Piracy: Economics, Institutions, and Technology,” The Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol. 34, Issue 6, December 2009. pp. 637-58. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Assessing an Economics Program: Hansen Proficiencies, ePortfolio and Undergraduate Research,” International Review of Economics Education Vol. 8, No. 1. June 2009. [with Steven Myers and Richard Stratton].
- “Global Efforts to Combat Smoking: An Economic Evaluation of Smoking Control Policies”, Hampshire, England: Ashgate, 2008. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Are Corrupt Acts Contagious? Evidence from the United States,” Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 29, pp. 839-850, 2007. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “The Master Settlement Agreement and Cigarette Tax Policy,” Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 29, Issue 3, pp. 431-438, 2007. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Demand Elasticities for Internet Services,” Applied Economics, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 975-980, 2006 [with Rajeev K. Goel, Edward T. Hsieh, and Rati Ram].
- “The Effectiveness of Anti-Smoking Legislation: A Review,” Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol.20, No.3, pp.325-355, 2006 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Smoking Prevalence and Anti-Smoking Regulations in Transition Countries,” Transition Studies Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp.231-248, 2006 [with Jelena Budak and Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Economic Freedom versus Political Freedom: Cross-Country Influences on Corruption,” Australian Economic Papers, Vol.44, pp. 121-133, 2005, [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Tobacco Policy and Tobacco Use: Differences Across Tobacco Types, Gender and Age,” Applied Economics,Vol. 10, pp. 765-771, 2005 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “International Patterns of Cigarette Smoking and Global Anti-Smoking Policies, with M. Nelson,” Journal of Economics and Finance,Vol. 28, pp. 382-394, 2004 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Use or Abuse of Highway Tax Revenues? An Economic Analysis of Highway Spending,” Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 10, pp. 813-819, 2003. [with R. K. Goel].
- “Using Excise Taxes to Finance State Government: Do Neighboring State Tax Policy and Cross-border Markets Matter?,”Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 42, pp. 731-752, 2002.
- “Electoral Cycles and the Politics of State Tax Policy,” Public Finance Review, Vol. 28, pp. 540-560, 2000.
- “Corruption and Government Size: A Disaggregated Analysis,” Public Choice, Vol. 97, No. 1/2, pp. 107-120, 1998. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Democracy, Political Freedom, Fiscal Policy, and Growth in LDCs: A Fresh Look,” Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 677-96, 1998. [with Ram D. Singh].
- “Municipal Government Approaches to Service Delivery,” Economic Inquiry, Vol. 35, No.1, pp. 82-96, 1997.
- “An IRS Production Function,” National Tax Journal, Vol. XLIX, No. 1, pp. 105-116, 1996. [with William J. Hunter].
- “The Deficit – Growth Connection: Some Recent Evidence from Developing Countries,” Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 167-191, 1994. [with Ram D. Singh].
- “Municipal Boundary Reform and the Growth of the Public Sector in Sweden,” Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 39-53, 1992.
- “Interest Group Demand for Taxation,” Public Choice, Vol. 62, pp. 41-61, 1989. [with William J. Hunter].
- “Public Policy, Local Labor Demand, and Migration in Sweden, 1979-84,” Journal of Regional Science, 29, pp. 247-264, 1989. [with Michael L. Wyzan]
- “Searching for Leviathan: Comment and Extension,” American Economic Review, Vol. 77, pp. 198-204, 1987.
- “An Empirical Analysis of State and Local Tax Structure in the Context of the Leviathan Model of Government,” Public Choice, Vol. 49, pp. 283-94, 1986.