Joseph R. Antos
Antos’ research focuses on the economics of health policy – including the Affordable Care Act, Medicare, the uninsured, and the overall reform of the health care system and its financing. He also studies the impact of health care expenditures on federal budget policy.
Before joining AEI, Antos was assistant director for health and human resources at the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). He has also held senior positions in the US Department of Health and Human Services, the Office of Management and Budget, and the President’s Council of Economic Advisers. He recently completed a seven-year term as health adviser to CBO, and two terms as a commissioner of the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission. In 2013, he was also named adjunct associate professor of emergency medicine at George Washington University.
Antos has a Ph.D. and an M.A. in economics from the University of Rochester and a B.A. in mathematics from Cornell University.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine, George Washington University, 2013-present
- Member, Panel of Health Advisers, Congressional Budget Office, 2007-13
- Commissioner, Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission, 2004-12
- Adjunct Professor, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001-03
- Assistant Director for Health and Human Resources, Congressional Budget Office, 1995-2001
- Director, Office of Research and Demonstrations; Deputy Director of the Office of the Actuary; Acting Associate Administrator for Management, Health Care Financing Administration, 1987-95
- Health Financing Consultant to the World Bank and to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Taiwan, 1987-93 and 1998
- Senior Economic Adviser, Europe and New Independent States Bureau, US Agency for International Development, 1994-95
Deputy Chief of Staff, Office of the Secretary; Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Management and Budget, US Department of Health and Human Services, 1986-87
- Senior Staff Economist, Council of Economic Advisers, 1985-86
- Senior Economist, Office of Management and Budget, 1983-85
- Director of Economic Policy Analysis and Senior Economist, Office of Research and Evaluation, Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor, 1974-83