The December 2009 issue of Budget & Tax News offers a photo feature on the September 12 Taxpayer March on DC. Nearly one million people rallied on behalf of fiscal responsibility and free markets. Also in this issue:
* State efforts to impose their tax regimes on out-of-state online retailers aren’t sitting well with those most affected. Noted the president of Overstock.com: “Rather than try to make companies like Overstock.com their sales tax collectors, they should focus on ways to reduce their budgets. That’s what businesses do when they are in tough times.”
* Gov. Jan Brewer’s lawsuit against the state legislature and her veto of their budget have done nothing to quell opposition to her proposal to raise the state’s sales tax.
* Illinois state officials are counting on the introduction of video gambling to help fund a massive capital spending program, but dozens of municipalities and counties have enacted video gambling bans, and the backlash is growing.
* A proposal to allow heavier trucks to haul freight could reduce traffic congestion, wear and tear on the nation’s roads and bridges, and air pollution.
* We’ve all heard of federal bailouts for insurance companies, automobile companies, and even banks, but few realize Capitol Hill is considering a proposal that would essentially be a bailout for trial lawyers.