The February 2009 issue of Budget & Tax News highlights the successes of Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, whose fiscal prudence was rewarded at the polls in November and in praise from state elected officials and national opinion leaders alike.
Also featured in this issue:
* Organizations representing millions of taxpayers, small businesses, families, senior citizens, and shareholders are asking Congress to reject expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Plan.
* Ohio’s satellite TV subscribers are fighting against what they call discriminatory treatment in the state’s tax code.
* As the United States moves toward a “European-style economy” of heavy regulation and high taxation, scores of countries in Europe and elsewhere have been going the opposite direction by easing government burdens, including cutting taxes on corporate and personal income.
* Major airlines that use O’Hare International Airport in Chicago have asked the federal government to halt a planned $15 billion expansion, saying the city’s plans are “premature and inappropriate” and an “impulsive grab for funds.”
* Legislation that could force online and mail-order retailers to collect sales taxes across the country could move forward in the new Congress.