CHICAGO, December 15, 2003 — ABC News correspondent John Stossel, co-anchor with Barbara Walters of 20/20 and producer/host of several ABC News special reports, will address a luncheon event hosted by The Heartland Institute on Wednesday, February 4, at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.
Stossel will discuss his new book, Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media, which will be released by HarperCollins on January 20, 2004. He will sign copies of the book following his luncheon address.
In Give Me a Break, says HarperCollins, Stossel “explains how ambitious bureaucrats, intellectually lazy reporters, and greedy lawyers make your life worse even as they claim to protect your interests. Taking on such sacred cows as the FDA, the War on Drugs, and scaremongering environmental activists–and backing up his trademark irreverence with careful reasoning and research–he shows how the problems that government tries and fails to fix can be solved better by the extraordinary power of the free market.”
Stossel is among America’s most respected and well-known television journalists, with 19 Emmy Awards for investigative reporting and editing for programs aired on Good Morning America and 20/20. The book is a natural outgrowth of several Stossel specials that have become “instant free-market classics,” said Heartland President Joseph L. Bast, including “Are We Scaring Ourselves to Death?” “Is America Still Number 1?” “You Can’t Say That!” and “Greed.”
The luncheon will take place at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, 160 East Pearson Street, Chicago. Registration is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon; Stossel will speak between 12:30 and 1:30 p.m. and will sign books after his presentation. The event is open to the public; tickets are $64 before January 5 and $89 after.
For more information …
To purchase tickets, call Latonya Harris at 312/377-4000, or CLICK HERE to download an interactive PDF reply form that you can complete and then email, fax, or mail to us. Alternatively, order online by clicking the appropriate link below.
To purchase a table, call Sean Parnell at 312/377-4000, or order online by clicking the appropriate link below.
- Individual Tickets: Heartland Members. Heartland Members at the $49 and $99 levels can purchase discounted individual tickets for $71. Click here: https://www.heartland.org/apps/store/store.cfm?itmId=95&action=itmPubDetail
- Individual Tickets: Non-Members. Heartland Members at the $29 and non-members can purchase individual tickets for $89. Click here: https://www.heartland.org/apps/store/store.cfm?itmId=96&action=itmPubDetail
- Priority Seating. Individuals can purchase priority seating at reserved tables in the front of the room for $200. Click here: https://www.heartland.org/apps/store/store.cfm?itmId=97&action=itmPubDetail
- Table of 10. Tables of 10 are available for $890. Click here: https://www.heartland.org/apps/store/store.cfm?itmId=98&action=itmPubDetail
- Gold Tables. Gold tables of 10, which will be positioned at the front of the room, are available for $3,300. Click here: https://www.heartland.org/apps/store/store.cfm?itmId=99&action=itmPubDetail