CHICAGO/LAS VEGAS – The Heartland Institute today launched an interactive Web site that provides news, information, and analysis of free market developments in information technology and telecommunications.
The site – http://www.infotech-news.org – bows during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and features on-site reporting through video, audio and text by James Lakely, co-director of the Center on the Digital Economy at The Heartland Institute.
The new site will provide sophisticated coverage of the information technology sector from the local to national levels, with an eye on public policy and trends that either advance or threaten freedom in the digital economy.
“Mainstream media, including mass media and tech trade publications, are never satisfied just to report news in the technology industry,” said Lakely, who also is managing editor of Heartland’s monthly online tech publication, Infotech & Telecom News. “Most reporters advocate government intrusion into the tech sector, command-and-control regulations, and harbor a deep distrust of free markets. Infotech-news.org changes the momentum of tech reporting.”
While at the Consumer Electronics Show, the new site offers readers:
- Continual updates via Twitter and site postings on the panel discussions, keynote speeches, and new-product introductions at the show.
- Podcast interviews with news makers.
- Breaking news stories in text and video formats.
- A daily infotech and telecom poll.
- Opinion and commentary from the tech and telecom sectors’ leading thinkers and policy makers dedicated to a free-market approach to those business sectors.
- Access to Heartland’s PolicyBot online research archive of thousands of articles and publications focused on free market analysis of information technology and telecommunications.
“When the show ends on Sunday,” Lakely added, “infotech-news.org will move into 24/7 coverage of our industry through daily reporting by infotech-news.org writers, and RSS feeds from leading online news sources and from informed readers.”
Iinfotech-news.org is a project of The Heartland Institute, a 26-year-old free-market think tank based in Chicago focused on ideas that empower people to solve social and economic problems by expanding consumer choices in areas such as health care, the environment, education, budget & tax issues, and information technology and telecommunications.