Ladies’ Home Journal offers this advice to parents who may wonder if their children are learning the right things at school:
- Ask your child about school. If something seems strange, talk to the teacher–and the principal, if necessary.
- Read your child’s textbooks.
- Check the content of your child’s homework. No homework? Ask why.
- Monitor academic performance closely. Ask the teacher if you don’t understand why a certain grade was given.
- Visit your child’s classes. Talk to teachers about the district’s curriculum goals.
- Keep up with school board votes.
- Join parent/teacher organizations, attend meetings, and volunteer in your child’s classroom.