Heartland is about to publish the fourth edition of its popular book, The Patriot’s Toolbox. Chapter 1 addresses health care reform, and a pre-publication draft of that chapter is available here.
According to coauthors Joseph Bast and Matthew Glans, “The good news is that policymakers can make health care more affordable and higher quality without increasing state budgets or the national debt, and without violating the freedoms of patients or health care providers. Enlightened legislators across the country are embracing parts of this ‘fresh start agenda.’ They offer guidance and leadership for elected officials elsewhere and for everyone interested in improving health care in the United States.”
Bast and Glans put forward ten principles that can guide reform efforts:
1. Repeal and replace Obamacare.
2. Reform Medicaid and Medicare.
3. Repeal existing regulations first.
4. Expand health savings accounts.
5. Expand high-risk pools.
6. Encourage price transparency.
7. Expand the use of direct primary care programs.
8. Expand access to prescription drugs.
9. Remove regulatory barriers to medical innovation.
10. Reduce malpractice litigation expenses.
Each principle is accompanied by specific actions items that patriots can call for and policymakers can enact to improve the quality of health care for all Americans.