The rapidly growing Independent Institute is currently seeking an Associate Director of Development.
Conveniently located in the center of the Bay Area, the Independent Institute is an academic, non-partisan, non-profit public policy research and educational organization fostering new and effective directions for government reform, especially pertaining to markets, peace, and liberty. We publish books and a quarterly journal, produce monthly forums on issues of current interest, and offer a scholarship program for K-12 students in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
We are seeking an excellent administrator and communicator with an interest in school choice. This position reports to the Development Director, assists on fundraising for the Institute, and administers the Independent Scholarship Fund (ISF).
- Research and writing grant proposals, reports to donors, and other fundraising materials;
- Communicating with new and existing donors via telephone, letters, and personal visits;
- Cultivating new and prospective donors/members of the Institute;
- Maintaining and updating the donor database as needed, generating thank you letters, sending member premiums, and verifying entries;
- Managing ISF, including fundraising, promoting to the local community, building a strong applicant pool, processing applications and scholarships, and communicating with families and organizations in the program.
- Two years of development experience preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English or communications, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated track record in project management.
- Mastery of MS Office and Filemaker a plus.
- Ability to work independently and maintain excellent interactions with donors and ISF contacts.
Salary $35,000-42,000, DOE, plus benefits. Qualified candidates should visit our Web site at http://www.independent.org and may submit a copy of their resume, references, and salary history to: